Jerin Arifa is an award-winning activist, a first-generation Bangladeshi and Muslim-American feminist, and happily married woman to an atheist, Alaskan man.
Jerin provides keynote speeches and trainings on a wide range of topics: intersectional feminism, activism/community organizing, Islamic feminism, religious feminism, Islamophobia, racism, violence against women/gender-based violence, Title IX, communications strategies, networking, social media and more.
Feminism / Activism / Intersectionality
- TV Interview with Eve Ensler, Mind Shift, Daniel Pinchbeck, “Worldwide Feminine Revolution.”
- Keynote along with Gloria Steinem: “Freedom on Our Terms: A New Agenda for Women and Girls 30 Years after the National Women’s Conference," Bella Abzug Leadership Institute.
- Keynote: Downtown Women for Change Rally.
- Speaker: Cocktails with a Conscience: Feminism in America, Repair the World NYC.
- Speaker: The Feminist Tea Party: Political Edition, EDUCATE & ACT, Hunter Artist Action Group (HAAG), and 2 Hours a Week.
- Speaker: Natural Novice, Siobhan O’Loughlin.
- Moderator: #solidarityisforwhitewomen with founder Mikki Kendall.
- Speaker: NOW Northeast Regional Conference & Elections for National Board 2014, National Organization for Women (NOW).
- Speaker: 2013 National NOW Conference, National Organization for Women (NOW), Chicago, IL.
- Speaker: Passionate Politics, Bluestockings Bookstore, Café, & Activist Center.
- Speaker: 2012 National NOW Conference, National Organization for Women (NOW), Baltimore, MD.
- Speaker: NOW - NY State - Annual Convention 2011, National Organization for Women (NOW).
- Speaker: 2011 National NOW Conference, National Organization for Women (NOW), Tampa, FL.
- Speaker: Art Showcase: Lucid Dreaming: Havest Season for the Soul.
- Speaker: 2010 National NOW Conference, National Organization for Women (NOW), Boston, MA.
- Speaker: NOW New York State Annual Convention 2009, National Organization for Women (NOW).
- Speaker: Feminist Men: Increasing Visibility, Paradigm Shift.
- Host: A Night to Remember: Variety Show, Hunter College.
Muslim Feminist / Islamic Feminism / Islamophobia
- Speaker: LGBTQAI+ Muslims & Allies Eid-Ul-Adha celebration, The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center.
- Moderator: LGBTQ, Muslims, and Allies Eid celebration, Muslims for Progressive Values, September 25, 2016.
- Moderator: LGBTQ Muslims and Allies Eid celebration, Muslims for Progressive Values, July 17, 2016.
- Moderator: Eid brunch: Multi-cultural/faith/atheist celebration, Young Feminists and Allies, July 19, 2015.
Racism / Hate Crimes
Moderator: "How to Fight Hate Crimes,” panel on racial justice with Jocelyn Morris, Kathleen Sloan and Laila Abdelaziz, National Organization for Women (NOW) National Conference.
Young Feminists / Young Women's Leadership
- Speaker: “National Young Women's Leadership Conference,” Feminist Majority Foundation.
- Moderator: What's Your Feminist Tree? Giving thanks to your feminist roots and spreading your feminist branches: #myfem2tree Tumblr & Google Hangout, Bella Abzug Leadership Institute.
- Moderator: Young Feminist & Allies Google Hangout.
Violence Against Women
- Speaker: Out of the Darkness: Confronting Domestic Violence in our Community, New York Asian Women's Center.
- Speaker: “Street Harassment Is a Form of Violence Against Women,” Hollaback, International Stop Street Harassment Rally 2015.
- Speaker: “How to End the Continuum of Violence Against Women,” Hollaback, International Stop Street Harassment Rally 2016.
- Speaker: Hollaback! About Assault on the Subway, MYD | Manhattan Young Democrats.
- Moderator: Stop Global Street Harassment: Growing Activism Around the World, Stop Street Harassment, April 14, 2016.
- Moderator: Tweet Chat: Looking at Street Harassment Across the Broad Spectrum of Gender-Based Violence, Stop Street Harassment, April 17, 2015.
- Moderator: Stop Street Harassment: A Multicultural Perspective, Stop Street Harassment, April 12, 2015.
Campus Sexual Assault / Title IX
Jerin was one of two students who spearheaded the campus sexual assault, stalking and domestic violence policy for the largest, urban, public university in the nation. She began working on the policy almost a decade before campus rape began making regular headlines.
- Moderator: Expert Tips to Fight Campus Rape Despite DeVos, Young Feminists and Allies.
- Speaker: The Hunting Ground, The Department of Women and Gender Studies, Hunter College.
- Speaker: CUNY Public Forum to Create Sexual Assault Policy, Queens College.
- Speaker: CUNY-wide sexual-assault Policy Public Forum, Hunter College.
- Radio Interview: Bringing in the Bystander: Everyone has a Role to Play in Preventing Violence, CrimePrevention 101.
- Speaker: Men Can Stop Rape Conference.
- Speaker: ALPHA WOMEN ATTACK THE LOWER EAST SIDE! 2010.
- Speaker: ALPHA WOMEN ATTACK THE LOWER EAST SIDE! 2009.
- Moderator: Take Back The Night, Hunter Women's Rights Coalition (HWRC).
- Trainer: Be Your Own Valentine: Feminist Tools & Tips, Young Feminists and Allies.
- Trainer: Healing in the Post-Election Era, A Practical Workshop, WIN NYC.
- Trainer: Mecca to Manhattan: Muslim Women Moving Mountains® 2014, Turning Point for Women and Families.
- Trainer: Mecca to Manhattan: Muslim Women Moving Mountains® 2013, Turning Point for Women and Families.